I had been smitten by a 612 Taylor in a local shop but had $500 to spend. When I saw this one, it had all the things I liked with the Taylor - the maple back especially - except for the size. I think the sound quality is very close to the Taylor - close enough for me. This thing really sings and was 1/4 the price. I can live with that.
Model Year: 2001
Price: $500.00 (new)
Where Obtained: daddy's junky music
Korean made, jumbo, solid spruce top, maple sides and back (has A to AA flaming on sides and back - nice bonus!) active electronics. All in all a beautiful guitar. Solid tuners. needs a strap button at the neck, though. Considering that it is massed produced, I give it a 5
The action was set just right - a little high for me (or so I thought) but I'm a confessed string buzzer. I have an old epiphone that has really low action and I was trying to duplicate it. I set the action lower and the intonation went off a little and the strings buzzed. I set it back and it's fine. Then I measured the scale and found that it was 25.5in. Comparing it to the epiphone I found that the epiphone's scale was 24.75in. The action was actually higher on the epiphone but the difference in scale made the epi feel easier - stupid me! Once I got used to it, it was fine. The neck has a satin finish. Very nice!
I play mostly folk and blues with my acoustics - this is great for strumming, chording, and finger style folk (ala James Taylor) although it takes getting used to the jumbo size. I keep my Epiphone around for the blues stuff - it has a more midrange sound(after years of "lemon pledge" abuse) and I can do lead playing a little better. The pickup and preamp work great - very easy to dial in a good sound and no distortion. It remains clear even with hard strumming. I might consider replacing the plastic nut and bridge to see if the sound could get any richer.
Built like a tank. My only complaint is that after 6 mo. the pickup wires came loose from the glued strap inside. Now you can see them through the sound hole every so often. it's an easily fixable problem. I think it was the change in humidity.