Respond to This

can't find the sound

I am a rythm guitar player, so I am not well versed on playing lead, so at the risk of looking like an idiot I will continue... I am trying to get that "screaming solo" sound that is found on just about every rock song known to man, it sounds similar to harmonics, but, I know it isn't. Do I need a certain pedal?, certain settings? Can anyone help me on this?

Respond to this

Re: can't find the sound

7/26/2007 9:50 AM

Inactive Member wrote:

Ah, yes..."That" sound!! Problem is, that certain sound, or tone, is different to a lot of folks. But I think I have a feeling what you're after. A bit of distortion (maybe a large bit?), plenty of sustain and yeh, a slight harmonic overtone (caused by certain amps or distortion boxes.

Best bet would be to be more specific. Give us an idea of what song(s) you were listeneing to. Or, some of the players/bands that you listen to a lot and want to emulate.

Some of that "tone", as I mentioned, is made by certain amps at loud volumes. Now, many times that tone is done through emulaters or modeling amps. So the way to get that sound can be a few different ways. Some expensive and loud, other ways, not too expensive and at a decently loud volume but not harmful.

SO, give us smoe ideas on who you want to try to sound like and I'm sure you'll get a few good ideas.

Andy S.

Respond to this

Re: can't find the sound

7/26/2007 12:14 PM

Bob Bledsoe (75) wrote:

Oh, the painful task of describing as sound or tone. One song that comes to mind is the solo in "Love Gun"...

Respond to this

Re: can't find the sound

7/26/2007 12:30 PM

Alan Roberts (10065) wrote:

That's a Gibson thru a Marshall.
A humbucker equipped guitar through a distorted amp should get
you close.

Respond to this

Re: can't find the sound

7/26/2007 11:03 AM

Rob Bee (569) wrote:

Are you meaning pinch harmonics?
Just an odd note here & there in a solo or lick.

I find these easier to produce with lots of distortion, then dig in
with your plectrum as you strike the stringon a downstroke. If you
'catch' the string with your trailing thumb it helps too.

Or at least that's how I do them.


Respond to this

Re: can't find the sound

7/26/2007 12:36 PM

Chris Bond II (2841) wrote:

It's really hard to talk about tone because it's such an individual thing. Some is equipment, some is touch of the player.

It is also something you come into as a player. It takes a little experience to get certain timbre and overtone (not to be confused with the harmonic overtone series which is something else)

The Ibanez Tube Screamer is a good pedal to have for starters, maybe a simple delay pedal as well should be enough. Anything more is overkill at this point because you will just end up confused by all the different sounds coming at you.

Respond to this

Re: can't find the sound

7/28/2007 10:34 AM

Randy Hano (12149) wrote:

Tone is a personal combination of amp, pedals and guitar. Technique can heavily affect to sound of one's playing style. I would be by determining which players are your favorites, look at the gear that they use and try to emulate it. Lot's of the recordings on
CD's and/or Record's (for us older people) had things added to the mix that sometimes cannot be replicated.

Respond to this

Re: can't find the sound

7/29/2007 2:38 AM

Obee Obier (4521) wrote:

just play your solos and don't worry about the sound after a while it
will be there... may a volume pedal helps to make a difference
between em ... and some delay do it as well...

Cheers ;o)

Respond to this

Re: can't find the sound

7/29/2007 10:15 AM

Ken Richardson (9051) wrote:

A lot of those older KISS records have a Les Paul for the lead guitar. You may want to try out a small tube amp, like the new Fender Champion thats out.. sounds pretty good when you crank it up to get tube distortion. A pedal such as the Tubescreamer could work out well.

There are lots of things that go into record production that influence the tone.. mic placement, EQ's, mikes that were used, reverb ( from the amp , or the room) and of course the players touch, picks, strings, etc.

As noted before, a humbucker-equipped guitar and tube amp distortion ( or Tubescreamer) is a good place to start.