Respond to This

a different focus

I notice on anything based around guitar the people who populate places like WN are completely guitar obssesed, most everyone here seems to focus on the guitar in music and the way people play and their ability and ect. and ect. But I wonder what is the point, when music is good it's good and the ability of the guitar player in the band is not really of issue. So many people complain about Nirvana de-ballsing the guitar, making peopel afraid to solo and ect, but really what happened was that people came to realise that solo's and ect. aren't as needed in songs.
And they really aren't, to call a whole song bad or good because of it's solo is shortsided. I suppose the reason I've been very inactive on WN is that my focus on music has changed from all this guitar bs to a focus on the music itself. And I have become a much better guitarist for it.
But this isn't to put down people who focus on the guitar to become Randy Rhodes or Eric Clapton or somebody like that. I'm just saying that maybe people should lay off a bit and open their minds. Just because something is interesting and a little strange, and not really guitar focused doens't make it bad. Kurt Cobain was good because istead of the usual technique he devolped his own, creating his own sound and his own noise. Many play solo after solo and ect. when they forget the most important part of guitar... individuality. Music isn't about being a good guitarist.. it's about making music that you like.
And I know this plea will go unlooked at, and maybe even laughed at by the pompus people who laugh at anyone who shows a like for people who aren't guitar heroes, I ask you at WN to open your minds and try different styles and not get focused on this technique thing... just listen to music and forget the importance of the guitar for a week, and your mind will eb changed.. the guitar will become a new instrument when it isn't the most important part... forget ability focus on the music.
~Karl
Responses (continued)  [ Pages: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 ]

Respond to this

Re: a different focus

10/3/2003 9:52 AM

Jon Brauk (4028) wrote:

I notice on anything based around guitar the people who populate places like WN are completely guitar obssesed, most everyone here seems to focus on the guitar in music and the way people play and their ability and ect. and ect.

I believe that this is the general focus of this site? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was set up to make people better guitar players, to learn, and to increase their knowledge on the instrument.

But I wonder what is the point, when music is good it's good and the ability of the guitar player in the band is not really of issue.

I wholeheartedly disagree, take a band like the White Stripes, music ain't good, guitarist ain't good. Or all these poppy punk bands today, I really don't hear good music, and I certainly don't hear good guitarists! Whether or not you'll take a kid from Good Charlotte and put them up against a guy like Satriani, well that's your choice, but I'll take Satch any day!

So many people complain about Nirvana de-ballsing the guitar, making peopel afraid to solo and ect, but really what happened was that people came to realise that solo's and ect. aren't as needed in songs.

You know who came to realize this? Thronging 15 year olds in bikinis and speedos that they want something were they care about looks rather than talent. Some dude with spiked hair? Cool, who cares if he plays an E5 A5 B5 progression over and over.

And they really aren't, to call a whole song bad or good because of it's solo is shortsided.

Yep, can't stand "Cliffs of Dover" that solo is just to long and to impressive for me, yes sir! ;-) (not seriously of course).

I suppose the reason I've been very inactive on WN is that my focus on music has changed from all this guitar bs to a focus on the music itself. And I have become a much better guitarist for it.

Riddle me this, how can you become a better guitarist by listening to Nirvana? I mean, Cobain was anything but revolutionary on the guitar, and the music of his band fell short of anything prior to it (IMHO).

But this isn't to put down people who focus on the guitar to become Randy Rhodes or Eric Clapton or somebody like that.

Ok... But maybe you don't like the fact that we might think these guys are good guitar players?

I'm just saying that maybe people should lay off a bit and open their minds. Just because something is interesting and a little strange, and not really guitar focused doens't make it bad.

I have a friend who told me to get a Mars Volta CD, I listened a song from it, and I was thinking, BAD! It's not whether the masses think it's bad, it's whether I think it's bad, and I can keep my views to myself without people telling me that I have to like this band, but not that guitarist because he plays to many solos.

Kurt Cobain was good because istead of the usual technique he devolped his own, creating his own sound and his own noise.

If you say so.

Many play solo after solo and ect. when they forget the most important part of guitar... individuality. Music isn't about being a good guitarist.. it's about making music that you like.

To some people music they like is listening to good guitarists. That's not to say that I don't have bands out there that I like. I mean, I like Matchbox 20, go ahead, laugh, but I think they are good. Whats wrong with liking a wide variety of music and yet liking to listen to a good guitarist better than a good tuba?

And I know this plea will go unlooked at, and maybe even laughed at by the pompus people who laugh at anyone who shows a like for people who aren't guitar heroes, I ask you at WN to open your minds and try different styles and not get focused on this technique thing...

Hey man, that's a little harsh, you expressed your opinion, we'll express ours.

just listen to music and forget the importance of the guitar for a week, and your mind will eb changed.. the guitar will become a new instrument when it isn't the most important part... forget ability focus on the music.

One closing thing, ability often stems to good music, whether you want it to or not.

-Jon



Respond to this

Re: a different focus

10/3/2003 2:16 PM

Laura Poston (243) wrote:

I suppose it would be to far fetched to focus in on what it is you are an enthusiast for, ie guitar, bass, percussion....evaluate that piece, then check out what's being played and sung around it??? Dang....you just might find something you like that didn't have your main focus in the forefront. Geez...being a bass enthusiast....if I did it any differently i'd be pretty darn limited in what i thought was good music, doncha think?

lp



Respond to this

Re: a different focus

10/3/2003 3:26 PM

Jon Brauk (4028) wrote:

Hey I play bass too... I think your stretching the meaning of my post.



Respond to this

Re: a different focus

10/3/2003 10:12 PM

Laura Poston (243) wrote:

How so?

lp



Respond to this

Re: a different focus

10/3/2003 11:28 PM

Jon Brauk (4028) wrote:

I suppose it would be to far fetched to focus in on what it is you are an enthusiast for, ie guitar, bass, percussion....evaluate that piece, then check out what's being played and sung around it??? Dang....you just might find something you like that didn't have your main focus in the forefront. Geez...being a bass enthusiast....if I did it any differently i'd be pretty darn limited in what i thought was good music, doncha think?

I never said I only focus on guitar, I said I tend to enjoy listening to a great solo over other types of music.



Respond to this

Re: a different focus

10/5/2003 2:19 AM

Laura Poston (243) wrote:

Okie dokie...thanks for the clarification.

lp

Respond to this

Re: a different focus

10/3/2003 11:51 AM

Don Moore (974) wrote:

So let me get this straight,if your an enthusiast of some kind don't focus on what it is your enthusiastic about?Correct me if I'm wrong but would I not then cease to be an enthusiast?



Respond to this

Re: a different focus

10/3/2003 12:01 PM

Jon Brauk (4028) wrote:

Exactly! As guitar players we are almost "called" to appreciate good guitarists and there music, assuming of course we enjoy that genre of music.

Respond to this

Re: a different focus

10/3/2003 2:41 PM

Randy Evans (6450) wrote:

Well... I honestly do try to play every style I can...I'm in a 3 piece..so I hafta do more than strum...I'm trying to see yer point, but I am a guitar NUT, and feel as though I do express myself no matter what I am playing!! But, my first job is to play for the song...... Yes.... and I am a guitar player.... and this is an On-Line guitar community.....Help I am confused.. Where am I??? Nirvana de-ballsing the guitar HAH- they put hundreds of hair bands out on the ropes..(especially POISON!)... But what is good..The Sex Pistols were not "Vai" material, but they were just as important...The Ramones didnt give guitar lessons.... they gave us attitude lessons!! You aint the first guy who came up with that thought...less is more....I agree..... but whats wrong with being a guitar enthusiast...its worked for me all these years..And given my work environment ...guitar..bass drums...what am I supposed to do?! I guess I'll keep doing what I have been doing while the "latest" thing hits the charts then slides back to obscurity the way it always has... I'll be myself! A true blue, no regrets, hard core, and solo happy ...guitar player!(OPINION)



Respond to this

Re: a different focus

10/14/2003 1:59 PM

Karl Haikara (2330) wrote:

hmm I seem to have given the impression that I am an anti-guitarist or something.. I ahev nothing against people who want to be good guitar players or whatever.. I'm just saying I dislike it when people juge good-ness of a band or music by the guitar, that's all I'm saying.



Respond to this

Re: a different focus

10/15/2003 2:29 AM

Randy Evans (6450) wrote:

I think it was the opening line which caused so much buzzing! No problemo dude..Be Good!

More Responses  [ Pages: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 ]