Overall Rating: 3.5 (of 5)
30 Steps To Learning Guitar
Someone sent me an email asking for 25 steps to learn guitar for a school project. I thought about it and came up with 30. It's oversimplified and not necessarily in order, but as a checklist it might help some.
1. Really WANT to learn guitar.
2. Find a good teacher to show you the proper way to sit, hold and play the
3. Make a commitment to study and decide how long every day you can practice.
4. Practice every day.
5. Pay close attention to your teacher and ask questions "why" you need to do things.
6. Learn all the string names
7. Learn how to use the right hand to play individual notes
8. Learn how to use frets to play other notes
9. Learn major scales
10. Learn the 3 types of minor scales
11. Learn about the scale modes and how they sound
12. Learn all the notes on the fretboard (step by step)
13. Learn to play two notes at once
14. Learn to play chords
15. Learn to read standard music notation
16. Learn to read chord symbols
17. Learn to read tabulated notation
18. Learn to add dynamics (piano, forte, crescendo etc...)to the music
19. Learn to play "music" (play with feeling) rather than just guitar
20. Play along with a metronome to develop good timing and note quality
21. Play together with other people to develop ability to harmonize
22. Record your playing and listen for how you can improve
23. Listen to other great guitar players to hear how it should sound
24. Try to play like the best players
25. Take every opportunity to play in public
26. Take every opportunity to play with other players and singers
27. Put your heart and soul into every note
28. Keep up the practice and enjoy your music
29. Teach others to play, or share what you know - both will learn
30. The expession, "you are what you eat," applies to music: "You are what you play," so play, and be your best.