Alright- now we can start improvising. Improvisation can be as simple as changing the order you play the arpeggio or scale in. Try these things:
- play every other note-notice how the Gmajor sclae turns into an arpeggio....
- change the rhythms of the notes you play. standard jazz rhythms are the "Swing" eights, so definetly try some uneven (long-short-long-short) eighth note rhythms
- have you noticed how close the am pentatonic scale (not blues scale) is to the am7 arpeggion?we jazz guys might even call the am pentatonic scale an am11 arpeggio....(hint)
- did you know the am pentatonic and c major pentatonic are the same scale with the notes in a slightly different order? this would suggest that the c major scale and arpeggio would be pretty compatible with the am7 arpeggio (hint again-I feel like Mick Goodrick)
- ever notice how notes sound cooler after a period of silence (the concept of "space"-check out Miles Davis)...(now I really feel like Mick Goodrick)