If you haven't read pt. 3, you should read that first.
Ready? OK, here's a groove to help you use those diminished scales in
a bop context. It's more or less rhythm changes in C. Some thoughts:
- How are the Dim7 chords functioning? What did we replace?
- How are the m7b5 chords functioning?
- Hint: how do these chords resolve?
- What other substitutions might you make?
- The groove-builder doesn't voice lead well. How would you voice
One of my teachers, the inimitable Ran Blake, once said to me:
When you are improvising, you can't make a mistake if you are
Think about it. Every "wrong note" is a half step away from
a "right note". What does that mean for your playing?
Enjoy and, 'til next time, I wish you diminishing returns.